Saturday, February 16, 2008

Ouch!

My new skates have arrived. My feet are in great pain, and will probably be enduring more in the next few weeks.

My trusty old Reidell's finally gave up the ghost and had to be replaced after eight years. They were beginning to break down, but my coaches also decided I needed to change blades. They felt a boot change at the same time would be a good idea. So I have switched from a Reidell 320 Bronze Star with an MK Professional blade to a Jackson Competitor 2200 boot with an Ultima Mirage blade.

I wore the new skates around the house (with guards on, of course) today. Boy are they ever stiff. I guess I had forgotten how stiff the Reidells were when I first got them. They also seem shorter in length, though they are actually a half-size larger than the Reidells. Of course sizing varies widely from brand to brand. I got a C width, which I can already tell is very nice, but the toes seem really squished, especially on top.

Once I get on the ice, the top edge of the boot won't be fun to deal with. I do remember how badly the tops of the Reidells cut into my legs until they bled! Also, the new blade is 1/2 inch shorter and flatter in the rocker now. It will be interesting to see how that changes my elements. I am most worried about losing my scratch spin.

I hope my coach takes pity on me tomorrow night. Maybe the Lord will return before then, and I won't have to endure the pain after all!!

Maranatha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for you wise counsel and gift today!! U are a sweetheart!! I love you!