Saturday, March 15, 2008

Illness

Don't know exactly what bug knocked me down this week, but it was a doozy. Since last Monday afternoon I have been really hit hard by severe muscle ache and fatigue over my entire body, as well as a constant fever and chills. The achiness has made it difficult to sleep for more than a few hours at a time most nights. Ibuprofen relieves the symptoms temporarily, but I hate popping meds for more than an occasional dose or two. The pain is very similar to what I experienced about 9 years ago when I had shingles. That was awful!! Don't know if this is some kind of recurrence or not. I didn't think you could get shingles more than once.

I'm not usually one to shirk responsibility unless I am on my deathbed, so despite the pain and fatigue, I taught school and Learn-to-Skate anyway. God granted a lot of mercy (he always does!!), and I have a week off now for spring break in order to rest. I'm feeling just a little bit better today (Saturday), but still weak and nauseous from all the aching muscles. I am thankful that whatever this was, it wasn't bronchial. I would be months recuperating if it were.

It has certainly been a good opportunity to rely on the Lord's strength, since I have had none of my own all week. A song from an old favorite cantata of mine that celebrates both the Rapture and the Second Coming comes to mind. It is based on 1 John 3:2-3.

Like Him
John W. Peterson

Sons of God are we beloved,
What we'll be we know not now,
Only that we'll be like Jesus
When before his throne we bow;
Purifying hope! O yes,
It makes me search my heart today,
Makes me want to be more like him
While I'm on this pilgrim way.

No more pain or earthly sickness,
Twisted limbs will be restored;
No more growing old or dying,
We'll have bodies like the Lord!
Free from sin and self forever,
Knowing then a perfect love,
All because he died to save us—
Make us fit for heav'n above!

Like him someday we'll surely be!
Like him when his dear face we see!
Like him for all eternity!
Someday we'll surely be like Jesus.
Someday we'll surely be like him!


Maranatha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for spring break!!! I hope you are resting /relaxing and just enjoying being home!!

Call me if you're feeling up to hanging out later this week!

Michele had the flu last night. She woke up from her nap feeling much better. yay! poor girl!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love you, been thinking of you lots today! xoxo