Sunday, September 30, 2007

God's Tattoos

But Zion said, "The Lord has forsaken me; my Lord has forgotten me."
"Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me."


Isaiah 49:14-16 (ESV)


People who get tattoos in the reckless years of their youth often regret them later, especially when they incorporate the name of some former fling. God's tattoos are eternal because his promises to Israel are eternal. He has no regrets. The fulfillment of those promises is our guarantee that Jesus Christ will never regret the scars on his hands either, and that God the Father will also fulfill the promises made to us and represented by those scars.

Human tattoos are primarily a passing vanity. The tattoos of the Father and of his Son, Jesus Christ, are emblems of God's glory.


Maranatha!

3 comments:

HopiQ said...

Hi there!

I love the Isaiah passage.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're having a wonderful week!! Come Lord Jesus!!

Marcie said...

Those are beautiful verses. I love how it says that we are engraved on the palms of his hands! Thank you for sharing.